For some people, retirement means traveling or moving to a favorite vacation destination. However, many retirees truly enjoy the community they call home. Unfortunately, the demands of homeownership can make retirement feel more like work. So, how are you supposed to enjoy retirement at home when there’s so much work to do? Increasingly often, the answer to this dilemma is an active adult community. So let’s explore what active adult communities offer and some of the top local choices for an active adult community in Maryland.
What Is an Active Adult Community?
Active adult communities are defined as communities offering relatively maintenance-free, independent living residences to those aged 55 and older. However, that doesn’t cover the full scope of communities that use the term.
If you’ve never heard of an active adult community, then you may be thinking it’s a dressed-up term for any number of senior living facilities you’re trying to avoid. Instead, it’s a development that provides a vacation-like feel with activities and amenities for residents 55 and older. It’s true that some active adult communities are age-restricted (requiring 80% of residences to have at least one person over 55). But many don’t have that requirement. It’s common for residents of active adult communities to work part- or full-time and lead completely independent lifestyles.
Active adult communities offer various types of homes, including single-family homes, condos, townhomes, and manufactured homes. Often, these communities offer maintenance and other services. The list can include garbage collection, maintenance, security, internet, TV, and in-community transportation. However, amenities and services may vary from one community to the next.
Benefits of an Active Adult Community in Maryland
After retirement, many residents seek a simpler lifestyle without the requirements of maintaining a home on their own. Many of the active adult communities in Maryland offer these conveniences and a variety of other features that make them enjoyable. These are the most common reasons retirees choose active adult communities in Maryland.
- Low-Maintenance Homes: Whether you rent or own your home in an active adult community, your monthly fees will usually include the property maintenance fees.
- On-Site Services: Convenient options for meals, laundry and dry cleaning, salons, transportation, and medical care are often located within the community, making all necessities easily accessible.
- Resort-Like Amenities: In addition to beautiful homes and manicured grounds, active adult communities often have a variety of enjoyable features like relaxing pools, gyms with trainers and classes, activity courts, restaurants, and a centralized clubhouse with a calendar of activities.
- Fixed Expenses: While these communities aren’t necessarily a low-cost option, all costs for maintenance, services, and utilities are included in your monthly fees, leaving you with no surprises or changing expenses.
- Accessibility: Since these communities are designed to target seniors, floor plans are designed to be easily accessible and eliminate steep stairways and areas that are difficult to navigate.
- Community: Perhaps one of the biggest draws of these communities is the opportunity to share a neighborhood with like-minded neighbors. While children and grandchildren are welcome, residents living in active adult communities usually enjoy a quieter, more laid-back lifestyle. Additionally, there are ample opportunities to socialize and interact with your neighbors. Enjoy a variety of activities designed to suit everyone’s tastes.
Popular Active Adult Communities in the Gaithersburg, Maryland, Area
If you’re a resident in the Gaithersburg, Maryland, area considering the active adult community lifestyle, then there are plenty of attractive options to choose from. These are some of the most popular active adult communities in Maryland.
Leisure World in Silver Spring
Located in Silver Spring, Leisure World of Maryland provides residents with a resort-like lifestyle to enjoy every day. With two clubhouses, three restaurants, indoor and outdoor pools, a fitness center, tennis courts, walking trails, and a golf course, residents don’t have to worry about getting bored. This gated active adult community in Maryland provides maintenance-free living, 24-hour security, regular medical appointments, and a pharmacy. A variety of home types are available to fit different budgets, and many classes and social activities fill the calendar.
Villages of Urbana at Stone Barn
Stonebarn Village of Urbana provides a variety of home types for residents of all ages. Single-family homes, townhomes, and luxury homes are available with an assortment of floor plans. An extensive pathway of hiking/biking trails connects the villages to one another. These paths also connect to the Market District, clubhouses and community pools, tennis courts, neighborhood parks, and ballfields. Clubhouse facilities include pools, fitness rooms, tennis courts, and outdoor patios for picnics and parties.
In the Villages of Urbana, you’ll find shopping opportunities, parks, and the Urbana Library Farmers Market. The community is served by Sugarloaf Elementary School, Urbana Middle School, and Urbana High School.
Courts of Clarksburg
Located within Clarksburg Village, the Courts of Clarksburg 55+ community includes a private clubhouse separate from Clarksburg Village amenities that offers community events, fitness activities, and social gatherings. Relax with low-maintenance living in single-family homes with first-floor owner suites. Also, enjoy lawn maintenance and the amenities provided by the village.
Ryan Homes, The Woodlands
The Woodlands is Urbana’s only 55+ active adult community. Located in Southern Fredrick County, the community offers a variety of on-site amenities. Amenities include a pool, clubhouse, fitness center, game room, yoga studio, putting green, pickleball court, bocce ball area, potting shed and garden, dog park, walking trails, and more. It’s also within walking distance of Urbana’s market district. First-floor living, two-car garages, ample storage, and low maintenance offer a convenient lifestyle.
Ryan Homes at Two Rivers
Known as The Regency, Two River’s newest 55+ community offers residents a resort-like lifestyle. It has a 15,000-square-foot clubhouse, indoor and outdoor pools, a fitness center, tennis and pickleball courts, parks, a community garden, a dog park, trails, and more. This active adult community in Maryland provides low-maintenance living in wooded and cul-de-sac areas with no cut-through streets. First-floor living with up-to-date floor plans and two- or three-car garages provide additional convenience.
If you’re a homeowner in the Gaithersburg, Maryland, area, planning to transition to the convenience of an active adult community in Maryland, then it can be difficult to know where to start. Your experienced local real estate agent can help. Many people don’t realize that real estate agents are about more than listing prices. Your agent can help you with every step of your home sale, from getting your home ready to sell to navigating the events of closing day.